Fundamentalists Plotting To Cause Carnage 

 Sky News 

Six men have gone on trial accused of plotting to bring carnage to the heart of London exactly two weeks after the deadly attacks of July the seventh. 

A court has been told it was only luck that stopped the group of alleged suicide bombers from killing innocent commuters because their devices failed to explode. 

The prosecution told Woolwich Crown Court that the home-made bombs were made from a lethal chemical mixture which included chapatti flour and were covered with shrapnel. 

The "extremist Muslim plot" failed at the last moment only because of problems with the explosive mixture, hot weather or mere "good fortune", the court heard. Several of the terrorist cell had attended sermons by the radical Islamic preacher Abu Hamza.  

Bombs packed with shrapnel At the opening of their trial, it was disclosed that five of the six men had been under surveillance by police during a camping trip to the Lake District almost 15 months before their alleged attempt to bomb three Tube trains and a bus. 

Their photographs were taken by police as they lined up with others on the trip, on a bank holiday weekend in early May 2004, apparently to take part in Islamic prayer. Less than a year later, the six men began formulating a plan to detonate rucksack bombs on London's public transport system, the court was told. 

By late April 2005, they had started buying the first of the necessary components for their devices, it was alleged.  The six defendants A one-bedroom flat in Curtis House, New Southgate, north London, was selected as the "bomb factory". 

Prosecuting counsel Nigel Sweeney QC said the alleged conspiracy had been in existence "long before" the "carnage" of July 7 and was not some "hastily arranged copycat". He described it as an "extremist Muslim plot, the ultimate objective of which was to carry out a number of murderous suicide bombings on the public transport system in London". 

The six men all deny charges of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions likely to endanger life. 

They are: Muktar Said Ibrahim, 28, from Stoke Newington, north London; Ramzi Mohammed, 25, from North Kensington, west London; Yassin Omar, 26, from New Southgate, north London; Hussain Osman, 28, of no fixed address; Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address; and Adel Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham. 


2014 united copts .org
Copyright © 2019 United Copts. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.