Shamima Begum: Ex-Bethnal Green schoolgirl who joined IS 'wants to come home'

Shamima Begum

One of three schoolgirls who left east London in 2015 to join the Islamic State group says she has no regrets, but wants to return to the UK.

In an interview with the Times, Shamima Begum, now 19, talked about seeing "beheaded heads" in bins - but said that it "did not faze her".

Speaking from a refugee camp in Syria, she said she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home for her baby.

She said she'd had two other children who had both died.

 

Saudi women's rights activist is being tortured in 'palace of terror,' brother says

By Tamara Qiblawi, CNN

Jailed Saudi activist Loujain Alhathloul

Jailed Saudi activist Loujain Alhathloul

(CNN)The brother of jailed Saudi activist Loujain Alhathloul has detailed in a CNN opinion piece the abuse his sister has allegedly endured in prison.

In the article, Walid Alhathloul writes that during a recent visit by his parents to see Loujain she told them she was regularly whipped, beaten, electrocuted and sexually harassed in a basement she called the "palace of terror."
 
Alhathloul was arrested in May 2018, along with 10 other women's rights activists in Saudi Arabia. Her family, Saudi activists and Human Rights Watch have alleged in recent months that she and other female detainees have been tortured and sexually harassed in prison.

MINYA MANSHIYET ZAAFARANA COPTS ATTACKED, CHURCH CLOSED

 13-01-2019 05:48 PM

Nader Shukry


In the wake of an attack by the Muslim villagers of Manshiyet Zaafarana in Minya, some 250km south of Cairo, against the village Copts, the police closed down the only church in the village which is home to some 1,000 Copts.

The Bishopric of Minya and Abu-Qurqas headed by Bishop-General Anba Macarius, issued a statement on the matter. Under the title: Explanation regarding the problem at the church of Mar-Girgis (St George) at Minshiyet Zaafarana, the statement said the attack took place on Friday 11 January 2019, at 1:30pm [indicating that the attack took place following Muslim Friday noon prayers when worshippers sentiments are inflamed against Copts, and are rallied to attacks them for what is perceived as non-Islamic actions].

Rahaf al-Qunun: Saudi teen granted asylum in Canada

 

Media captionThe #SaveRahaf campaign went viral after Rahaf started tweeting about her plight for asylum

A Saudi woman who fled her family and became stranded at Bangkok's main airport is flying to Canada after being granted asylum status.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, had been trying to reach Australia via Bangkok, but was initially told to return to Kuwait, where her family were waiting.

'I'M LOSING HOPE' 

Saudi Arabian girl, 18, barricaded in Bangkok hotel claiming she can’t go home because parents will KILL her for renouncing Islam

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun fled her family on Friday hoping to seek asylum abroad

By Neal Baker and Aletha Adu

7th January 2019

A SAUDI Arabian teen has barricaded in her Bangkok hotel and claims she can't go back to the desert kingdom because her parents will kill her for renouncing Islam.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, ran away from her family while they were on a trip to Kuwait three days ago.

She tried to flee to Australia via Bangkok in hope of seeking asylum - but she was chased by Saudi officials who seized her passport.

Rahaf said she was detained after leaving her plane in Bangkok and told she would be sent back to Kuwait.

Egypt policeman killed defusing bomb near Coptic church

Egyptian police outside a Coptic church near Cairo

Image copyrightAFP/GETTYImage captionSecurity forces guarded streets approaching the church

A policeman has been killed trying to defuse a bomb outside a Coptic Christian church in Egypt, security officials say.

Mustafa Abid was reportedly a specialist in mine clearance.

Knifeman ‘shouts Allah’ as he stabs three people including police officer in Manchester

Kate Buck

 

Monday 31 Dec 2018 10:35 pm 

A knifeman allegedly shouted ‘Allah’ as he stabbed three people with a ‘long kitchen knife’ at Manchester Victoria Station, witnesses have claimed

British Transport Police said that one of their officers had been stabbed in the shoulder and a man and woman had been taken to hospital with knife injuries.

Hundreds of Egyptian Christians protest at police killing

MINYA: Hundreds of Coptic Christians on Thursday attended the burial of a father and his son who were killed by a police officer in Egypt's Minya province, amid cries for the state to provide more protection.

The Copts, who make up around 10 percent of the population, have long complained of discrimination. They have also frequently been attacked by Islamist militants who see them as infidels, prompting authorities to place armed guards outside churches and monasteries.

 مقتل قبطيين على يد شرطي أمام كنيسة “نهضة القداسة”

مطرانية المنيا تكشف حقيقة مقتل قبطيين على يد شرطي أمام كنيسة “نهضة القداسة”

 2018-12-12 (08:10 PM)

نادر شكرى


مطرانية المنيا تكشف حقيقة مقتل قبطيين على يد شرطي أمام كنيسة

كشفت مطرانية المنيا وأبوقرقاص، التابعة لنيافة الأنبا مكاريوس أسقفها، حقيقة مقتل قبطيين على يد شرطي، مساء اليوم، أمام كنيسة نهضة القداسة الإنجيلية.

وذكرت في توضيحها :بينما كان كلٌّ من عماد كمال صادق (الشهير بعماد المقدس – ٤٩ سنة)، ومعه ابنه ديفيد عماد (٢١ سنة)، يقومان برفع أنقاض منزل مقابل لكنيسة نهضة القداسة بشارع الصرافة، في إطار عملهم في المقاولات بمدينة المنيا.

وعلى خلفية خلاف بينهما وبين حارس الكنيسة منذ الأمس ويدعى ربيع مصطفى خليفة، قام الأخير بإطلاق النار عليهما حوالي الساعة السادسة من مساء اليوم ١٢ ديسمبر ٢٠١٨م، فقتل الاثنين، وتم نقلهما إلى المستشفى العام بالمنيا، وتم القبض على الشرطي المتهم، وتقوم الأجهزة الأمنية الآن باستجوابه.

Parents were 'dismissed as racist' by school officials when they complained about 6ft 1ins Iranian migrant posing as a 15-year-old who appeared in their children's classroom
  • A pupil at Stoke High School in Ipswich was accused of pretending to schoolboy
  • Migrant from Iran known as 'Siavash' was said to have posed as 15-year-old pupil
  • Parents shared pictures of similar looking man with same name on social media
  • Pictures emerged from a Facebook account of moustached man drinking beer

By GUY ADAMS FOR THE DAILY MAIL

A couple of weeks after the start of this term, pupils at Stoke High School in Ipswich were told that a new boy was joining their GCSE class. 

His name was Siavash, and he had quite a life story: Born in Iran, the teenager had been forced to flee the Middle Eastern theocracy in mysterious circumstances, and had since managed to cross Europe, with only a younger brother for company.

Having arrived in the UK – it’s not clear how – the duo promptly claimed asylum, declaring themselves to be 15 and 12 years old respectively. 

Around the same time, they appear to have come to the attention of a refugee charity, which helped to house them in Suffolk, where there is a small but well-established Iranian immigrant community.

Like any unaccompanied child refugees, the boys were informed that, should they remain in full-time education, they’d be looked after by the local authority until reaching the age of 25. 

A pupil at Stoke High School in Ipswich posted a Snapchat image of a fellow student in his maths class with the caption, ‘how's there a 30-year-old man in our maths class?’
A pupil at Stoke High School in Ipswich posted a Snapchat image of a fellow student in his maths class with the caption, ‘how's there a 30-year-old man in our maths class?’

Coptic Christian attack: Funerals in Egypt for seven murdered pilgrims

Mourners carry a coffin during the funeral of Coptic Christians who were killed in an attack, in Minya, Egypt November 3, 2018
Image copyrightREUTERSImage captionHundreds of people gathered in Minya for the funerals of six Coptic Christians killed by millitants

Coptic Christians have gathered in Egypt to take part in the funerals of a group of pilgrims killed by gunmen as they headed to a monastery on Friday.

Mourners expressed grief and anger as they left Prince Tadros church in the city of Minya, where the bodies of six victims lay in white coffins.

A seventh had been buried on Friday.

Logo daily mail

Victim of the violence-mob

Human rights defenders draw a negative balance to the situation of Copts in Egypt. 

By Michael Leh

October 24, 2018 
1:10 pm

Christmas Mass in New Cathedral near Cairo

 

When Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi visited the Christmas Mass in Cairo's Nativity Cathedral in Cairo, he made himself affable to the faithful. Whether the situation of the Copts has really improved, wants the Human Rights Committee of the Bundestag at ... Photo: dpa 

When Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi visited the Christmas Mass in Cairo's Nativity Cathedral in Cairo ... Photo: dpa

The Human Rights Committee of the Bundestag travels to Egypt in November. Before that, the Bundestag Committee on Economic Cooperation and Development in Cairo will look at the situation on the Nile. It will also be about the distress and hardships that the Christian Copts in Egypt are exposed to. Against this background, the International Society for Human Rights (IGFM) together with the "Evangelical Alliance" now informed in Berlin about the situation of the Copts. She also invited experts: the chairwoman of the Human Rights Committee of the Bundestag, the FDP member Gyde Jensen, as well as the president of the "European Union of Coptic human rights organizations" from Switzerland, Medhat Klada. 

The Voice of the Martyrs

EGYPT: Mobs Force Church Closures

Source: World Watch Monitor


Cairo, Egypt - Photo: Flickr / Andrew A. Shenouda

 

For the Christian minority in Egypt, regulations and bureaucracy have caused issues for years. Across Egypt, over 3,500 churches are presently in the process of being licensed; some have waited for over 20 years. In January, the government announced that Christians will be allowed to continue meeting in unlicensed churches pending the process. But in the Luxor governorate region alone, a Coptic diocese faced the forced closure of its eighth church due to pressure from mobs. All these churches were in the process of being officially approved by the government.

 

Suicide bomber who killed 22 in Manchester Arena was rescued by British navy in Libya

British bomber Salman Abedi had been visiting Libya during a year off before university.

Salman Abedi caught on CCTV travelling to the Manchester Arena.
Salman Abedi caught on CCTV travelling to the Manchester Arena.
Image: GMP

THE SUICIDE BOMBER who killed 22 people at a pop concert in Manchester was rescued by the British navy from conflict-ridden Libya three years earlier, it was reported today.

Salman Abedi, a British man of Libyan heritage, was among 110 Britons and their families evacuated by the ship HMS Enterprise and taken to Malta in August 2014, the Daily Mail newspaper said.

Egypt: Mob attack encouraged by police promise ‘No church will be allowed here’

A mob attacked a church in Minya, Egypt, on 13 July protesting against its legalisation and received a police officer’s approval, World Watch Monitor has learnt from local sources.

Several other villages in Minya have been attacked by mobs over the last few months, protesting against Coptic churches. (World Watch Monitor)Several other villages in Minya have been attacked by mobs over the last few months, protesting against Coptic churches. (World Watch Monitor)

The only church in Ezbet Sultan Pasha village, where about 20 percent of the population is Christian, was built in September 2016. Apart from masses and prayer meetings, St. Karas the Anchorite Coptic Orthodox Church also held Sunday school classes and housed a nursery.

Christians attacked for allegedly comparing Jesus to Prophet Muhammad

Fri 13 Jul 2018
By Eno Adeogun

A Coptic Christian community in an Egyptian village has been attacked over an alleged Facebook post that compared the Prophet Muhammed to Jesus Christ.

Muslim villagers reportedly accused 35-year-old Abdo Adel of publishing a post on his Facebook page that was an insult to Islam.

A local source that wanted to remain anonymous told World Watch Monitor that Christians in Menbal - 225km south of Cairo - were afraid to leave their homes despite security forces patrolling the streets since the unrest began on Monday.

Egypt: Copts attacked after Facebook post ‘showing contempt of Islam’

July 11, 2018 By World Watch Monitor 

An attack on the Saint Tadros Church in Menbal village on Monday night was prevented by security guards. (Photo: World Watch Monitor)

An attack by a Muslim mob on Copts in a village in the Egyptian governorate of Minya on Monday (9 July) has left the Coptic community holed up in their houses, while security forces patrol the streets.

A local source told World Watch Monitor the situation is still very tense in the village of Menbal, 225km south of Cairo, which was also home to Gaber Mounir Adly, one of the 21 menbeheaded by Islamic State in Libya in 2015.

Austria to close seven mosques and deport imams in crackdown on ‘political Islam’

Coalition government says move is ‘just the beginning’ as Turkey brands policy Islamophobic

The Independent Online
 
 
Austria plans to shut seven mosques and expel dozens of imams in what politicians have described as a crackdown on “political Islam”. 
The country’s coalition government, formed of conservative and far-right figures, said the measures were “just the beginning” of a push against radical Islam and foreign funding of religious groups.

Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said authorities would shut what was described as a “hardline, Turkish nationalist mosque” in Viennaand also dissolve a group called the Arab Religious Community.

More than 350 mosques urge Tories to launch Islamophobia inquiry

Terrorist kills 3 in Belgium with guns of stabbed police officers

A Knife-wielding man stabs two police officers in the Belgian city of Liege, steals their weapons and shoots them and a bystander dead in an attack prosecutors say is terror-related.

Reuters|Published:  05.29.18 , 14:33

A man killed two policewomen and a bystander in the Belgian city of Liege on Tuesday before being shot dead in a gunbattle at a school in what prosecutors are treating as a terrorist attack.

The man was named by public broadcaster RTBF as a 36-year-old petty criminal who had been let out on day-release from a local prison on Monday. It said investigators were looking into whether he had converted to Islam and been radicalized in jail.

Gunshots fired in Belgium

A public prosecutor told a news conference that the man attacked the policewomen from behind with a knife, described as a box-cutter by RTBF, around 10:30 am (4.30 am ET) on a boulevard in the center of Belgium’s third city, near the German border.After stabbing the officers, prosecutor Philippe Dulieu said, the man seized one of their handguns and shot both women dead before walking down the street and shooting dead a 22-year-old man who was sitting in the passenger seat of a parked car.The man then made his way into a high school where he took a woman employee hostage, triggering a major intervention by armed police. Pupils were moved to safety as a gunbattle broke out that sent people in the street racing for cover. Several police were wounded before the attacker was finally killed.“The event is classed as a terrorist incident,” Dulieu said.

 (Photo: AP)

(Photo: AP)

Family of suicide bombers attacks 3 churches in Indonesia, killing 7, police say

By Masrur Jamaluddin, Eliott C. McLaughlin and Susannah Cullinane, CNN

Updated 1902 GMT (0302 HKT) May 13, 2018

Police converge on Santa Maria Catholic Church in Surabaya.

Jakarta (CNN)Police believe a husband, wife and their four children carried out the suicide attacks on three churches in Surabaya that left seven people dead, Indonesia's top cop said Sunday.

The attackers included two daughters aged 9 and 12 years old, said Head Gen. Tito Karnavian, the country's highest-ranking police official.


2014 united copts .org
Copyright © 2019 United Copts. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.